More half-baked social planning ideas

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Mon Dec 25 17:51:27 PST 2000

At 01:42 PM 12/25/00 -0500, Tim May wrote:
>California houses have almost _never_ had basements. Check it out.

A Calif native friend of mine had griped to me (years ago)
that the Princeton, NJ based SATs were biassed: they had
an analogy like

	furnace:basement::stove:______

and my SoCal friend complained that furnaces are in walls or maybe an
attic, and he had never seen a basement.  Coming from places
where triple-paned glass is the norm, I found this absurd,
but soon realized it was likely.  Tens of millions of Californians
have *no idea* of the many-armed oil-fed beast that lives in basements..