More half-baked social planning ideas

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Dec 25 10:41:06 PST 2000

At 9:25 AM -0800 12/25/00, Ray Dillinger wrote:

>Just an observation, but most of the specific causes of this crisis
>point strongly to one general cause -- ie, there are too many people
>in California.  More than the local water supply can handle.  More
>than power can be generated for locally (unless someone builds a
>nuke powerplant, and you can already hear the Nimby's screaming...).
>More than food can be grown for without exhausting water tables to
>irrigate the central valley.

Not even _close_ to being true.

Yes, there are many people. "Too many" is an esthetic judgment. The
water coming off of the Sierras is more than enough for twice the
current population, providing they all don't try to have large green
grass yards (cf. xeriscaping).

The market solution for water, as it is for power, computers,
frisbees, and anything else, is to let the market price goods. If
someone wants to pay $3000 a year to keep their lawn green, their
choice.

As for food production, food is fungible and is shipped where markets
want it. Vastly more food, of certain types, is grown in the Central
Valley, and in the Salinas Valley (near me), than is consumed locally.

>Another general cause is that most of the current houses are built
>stupid.  In the 1940's and 1950's houses were built that were quite
>habitable without constant airconditioning.  They had basement
>windows where air could be drawn in and air was cooled in the
>basement with  scads of thermal contact with the cool earth.

California houses have almost _never_ had basements. Check it out.
Check the history of houses built throughout the state, going back a
century or more.

The main "reason" for basements is to put a foundation below the
frost line. Mainly for structural reasons: a house built on top of
the heave line is subject to thermal heave, cracking the foundation.
(Houses can of course be built without basements or partial basements
even in cold climes, via careful sinking of foundations. But digging
out to below the frost line and then building on top of that was the
most common approach.)

John Young, as an architect, can no doubt say more about why
basements are common in cold climes but much less common in temperate
climes.

(I lived in coasta France, on the Riviera, for a year. Virtually no
houses had basements. Ditto for Italy. Ditto for Greece. Move north,
however, and houses start to be built with basements.)

By the way, most of the 34 million current California residents live
in the coastal strip, from San Diego to LA to Santa Barbara to San
Luis Obispo to San Jose to San Francisco and the other Bay Area
cities. Most of them don't use air conditioning.

(I lived for 5 years in San Diego--no A/C. Lived for 4 years in Santa
Barbara--no A/C. Lived for 12 years in Santa Clara--A/C in one of my
apartments, which I only used half a dozen times. Lived in Santa Cruz
for 14 years--no A/C.)

My siblings live in California: no A/C. I can't think of a single
person I know who has air conditioning...they may exist,  I just
can't think of who they might be.

>There
>were open airways that circulated air drawn up from the basement
>through the first and second floor, and windows in the second floor
>where heated air was allowed to escape.  Many of them were made of
>adobe or other materials with great thermal inertia, which mediated
>the extremes of temperature.

Earth to Ray: Adobe and other thick-walled structures are
"deprecated," as the current lingo would have it. I'll let you figure
out why.

>All of these are perfectly sound
>thermodynamic principles, which have been abandoned because wood-frame
>concrete slab houses are cheaper to build and home buyers haven't
>been thinking about the cost of cooling the damn things as part
>of the purchase price.  If building codes were modified, or if
>contractors and developers  had to bear the first ten years of
>utility costs out of house prices, we'd probably see a substantial
>reduction in the so-called "need" for power.
>
>				Bear

Do you simply invent this stuff?

Cypherpunks has become a dumping ground for half-baked social theorists.

--Tim May
--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns