Copy protection of ordinary disk drives?

Brian Lane brian at nexuscomputing.com
Fri Dec 22 20:13:53 PST 2000

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 05:13:53PM +0100, Tom Vogt wrote:
> Brian Lane wrote:
> >   Maybe I'm being dense today, but I don't see how this is going to
> > work. So
> > they have a key on your drive, they encrypt the data using this key, but
> > at
> > some point the data has to be decrypted and used, which means that it
> > can be
> > intercepted.
> >

> interesting change in culture. not too long ago, knowing how your home
> electronics actually work was the sign of the geek. not too far in the
> past, knowing how your home electronics really works will be the sign of
> the criminal.

  I can see it now -- "Mr. Lane, you are being convicted for reverse
enginerring the embedded encryption system in the IBM-SuperSekret-HD."

  "But! But! I was just trying to recover my Quicken 2001 backup!" as they
drag me off to prison.

  The only way they can make this even begin to work in the marketplace is
to force manufacturers to stop producing uncontrollable drives. I wouldn't
be suprised if there was an amendment to enact this waiting to attach itself
to an obscure bill in Congress.

  Or maybe I'm just being paranoid? <G>

  Brian

--