Anyone financially ruined by nasdaq?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Dec 20 12:08:41 PST 2000

At 12:17 PM -0600 12/20/00, Igor Chudov wrote:
>Just curious mostly... whether any cypherpunks got financially ruined,
>which I define as losing at least 66% of net asset value.

A naive definition.

"Ruined" has connotations which have nothing to do with percentage
losses. Does a Michael Saylor of MicroStrategy face "ruin" because
his stock is worth $500 M instead of $10 B?

How about the guy who has come to Cypherpunks meetings whose stock
holdings at one point were $749 million, but whose holdings are now
about $25 million?

(These are far, far greater losses than the "66%" threshold, and yet
these people are not "ruined.")

Now if one is heavily margined, and a stock drop triggers margin
calls, resulting in liquidation of all positions, negative net worth,
etc., then perhaps "ruin" is a good word.

And why do you think Cypherpunks, who generally pay lip service to
privacy issues, would reveal their financial situation to you, or to
the list?

--Tim May
--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns