The Cost of California Liberalism

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Tue Dec 19 03:58:03 PST 2000

But the Bush family is from Connecticut or somewhere. They *are*
Yankees.  Bush I never spoke with anything like a Texan voice & Bush II
has to try. Bill's parody is a parody of a parody of a Texan accent, not
a parody of a Texan accent.

When I worked in the Oil business some of my less sensitive English
colleagues sometimes tried to parody Texan accents. They always got it
very wrong - for example saying "Hooston" most Americans  would instead
of "Hyooston" as both we English and the Texans do (of course the name
is originally Scottish (a place near Glasgow) and in it's homeland is
"Hooston".)

We find it hard to tell Southern US accents apart from each other and
(genuinely) hard to tell Southern white accents from
the sort of black voices Tim rips off so charmingly. When I actually
went to Houston I found out that a whole load of people I'd thought were
black on the 'phone turned out to be white, with various Southern
accents, and some people I'd imagined were white were in fact black, but
with middle-class northern college-educated voices.

Ken