Announce: "secret-admirers" mail list(usenet)

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Tue Dec 19 07:04:46 PST 2000

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 12:39:58AM -0800, Raymond D. Mereniuk wrote:

> > At 11:24 AM 12/16/2000 -0800, Eric Murray wrote:
> >  > > > Only by running your own mail or news server can you prevent the
> >  > > > ISP from monitoring your email or news reading.
>
> Sorry to entering this thread so late but I had to bite on these
> comments.  I have been in and out of the ISP business for the last 5
> years.  In my last real job I was responsible for a tech support team.

[..]

> I wouldn't worry about most ISP invading your privacy.  Most of them
> are too busy getting calls from 12:00 O'clock flashers and, my
> personal favourite, the caller who blamed us for uploading porn
> onto their computer.

You missed the begining of this thread.

The threat isn't from the ISP personnel, who like you say are too
busy to spy.  It's from law enforcement who get access (through
subpoenas or simply asking for it) to the logs that the ISP's been
keeping.  They could then do traffic analysis on your a.a.m reading.

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5