This is why a free society is evil. [Re: This is why HTML email is evil.]

auto58194 at hushmail.com auto58194 at hushmail.com
Mon Dec 18 13:09:21 PST 2000

Tim May wrote:

> You seem to fundammentally misunderstand the situation. The reason
> the Personnel Commissar is ordering sensitivity training, workshops,
> and is requiring that posters of Brittny Spears be removed from
> office walls is because government and lawyers have made companies
> liable in various ways for "discriminatory" or "sexist" or suchlike
> behaviors.

I may have killed my point in editing.

Laws are the result of people using their property to advance their agenda.

When harassment laws were proposed, companies chose not to use their property
to fight these laws.  Today when they give into these laws rather than fight
them, they are again making a decision about how they use their property.

Companies tend to value their property more than they value the free expression
of their employees.  Is this surprising?  Is it wrong?  Should companies
be compelled to value the free expression of their employees higher?

I don't like the current situation with zero-tolerance policies and all
that any more than you do, but it's not the result of living in an unfree
society.  It's the result of living in a society with different values than
our own.

In other words, to get the freedoms we want, we have to take away other
freedoms.

> You're really missing the point, aren't you? Go back and think about
> the issues more deeply.

I'll always miss the point of people complaining they don't live in a free
society when they use reasoning that indicates they don't really want to
live in a free society.

In a previous incarnation of this message, which appears to have gone into
the darkness, I made a rushed point about free societies either being impossible
or being a truth.  I'll skip that this time and just ask this: do you mean
to be complaining about not living in a free society or are you really complaining
about not living in a society with a higher value on personal freedoms?