Announce: "secret-admirers" mail list(usenet)

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Dec 17 22:48:40 PST 2000

At 04:00 PM 12/16/00 -0800, James A. Donald wrote:
>My newsreader, like most people's newsreaders, automatically downloads
>those newsgroups I am interested in full, in the background.   Therefore
>there is no way anyone can no which particular message of
>"alt.anonymous.messages" I have read.

Agent or Free Agent can be set to do this, and it may make sense
for newsgroups where articles are short, but I certainly
wouldn't run in that mode for a newsgroup that had
large postings that I didn't want all of.
The binary program newsgroups are a good example of this -
article bodies are often 64 times as large as the headers,
if they stick to 64KB, or much larger if they don't,
unlike text oriented groups where they may be 4 times as large,
so downloading the entire contents on modems is really slow.

>Alt.anonymous.messages is completely effective.  It does not provide mere
>obscurity, but rather supplies true security.  To determine who I am
>communicating with, and what I was saying, the adversary would need to
>compromise my firewalled computer.

The adversary might have a good idea who's actively downloading the group
from a number of major isps.  That doesn't mean they'll know who's
reading it from random-isp.ru or direct off the spool at random.edu.au,
but if they really care, they can get a good idea how many people
are reading the group, even if they don't know which articles you read.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com