This is why a free society is evil. (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sun Dec 17 10:58:17 PST 2000

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000, Tiarnan O Corrain wrote:

> Not quite true. It was the symbol carried by Roman jurists as a sign of
> their authority. A weapon, perhaps, but not used for cracking heads.

Not quite accurate either. Forward to sophist pendantry!

>From one site I found using google and 'fasces'...

Ancient Roman symbol of the regal and later the magisterial authority. The
fasces were cylindrical buncles of wooden rods, tied tightly together,
from which an axe projected; they were borne by guards, called lictors,
before preators, consuls, proconsuls, dictators, and emporors. The fasces,
which symbolize unity as well as power, have often been used as emblems.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com