This is why a free society is evil. [Re: This is why HTML email is evil.]

auto58194 at hushmail.com auto58194 at hushmail.com
Sun Dec 17 06:10:00 PST 2000

Tim May wrote:

> You seem to fundammentally misunderstand the situation. The reason
> the Personnel Commissar is ordering sensitivity training, workshops,
> and is requiring that posters of Brittny Spears be removed from
> office walls is because government and lawyers have made companies
> liable in various ways for "discriminatory" or "sexist" or suchlike
> behaviors.

Perhaps I killed my point in editing.

Laws exist as a result of people using their property to advance their agenda
and/or to protect their property.

That companies decided not to fight the passage of harassment laws was a
decision they made about how they used their property.  That companies today
give in rather than fight them is also their decision.

Corporations tend to value their own property over the free expression of
their employees.  Should this be surprising?  Is it wrong?  Should property
owners be compelled to value the free expression of their employees higher
than they do?

I don't like the current result any more than you do, but it's not the result
of living in an unfree society, it's the result of living in a society with
different values than our own.

In other words, to get the freedoms we want, we have to take away other
freedoms.

> You're really missing the point, aren't you? Go back and think about
> the issues more deeply.

Well, I'll always miss the point of people complaining about not living
in a free society/economy when they use reasons that indicate they don't
really want to live in a free society/economy.

I want to keep this short, but there's something to be said for a free society
being either impossible or a truth.  In a free society, you're free to do
something, and others are free to try and stop you.  Either this makes a
free society impossible because of conflicting ideals or it's a truth because
people are always free to attempt changing society.  Laws and governments
you don't like are an indication that the other side currently has the upper
hand, but you're still free to try changing them.  Until you give up or
die, you're free.

Perhaps it's not a free society you want, but a society with a higher value
on private/personal freedoms.  Perhaps you even want a society that values
private freedoms higher than private property.