Florida Election - Looking back to CFP2000

Robert Guerra rguerra at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 16 11:50:33 PST 2000

I'm reviewing the CFP2000 conference (www.cfp2000.org) proceedings
(http://www.acm.org/pubs/contents/proceedings/cas/332186/) and have
come across the following paper which I think is relevant to the
e-election discussion which has been going on here...

Internet Voting: Spurring or Corrupting Democracy
http://www.acm.org/pubs/articles/proceedings/cas/332186/p229-craft/p229-craft.pdf

[In conclusion]..

... We in Florida have consluded that, as long as we compy with our
existig laws on election procedures and governmental structure, we
can proceed with our efforts to formulate policy in the Technology
issue area by examining, testing, and certifying Internet voting
systems for pilot-project use. Furthermore, we believe this approach
will have NO EFFECT on the political science issue area.

We are considering the certification of precinct-based Internet
voting systems when a system vendor introduces a system which will
meet or exceed Florida's existing standards for security, privacy and
accuracy..

--
"...as we transfer our whole being to the data bank, privacy will
become a ghost or echo of its former self and what remains of