AT&T signs bulk hosting contract with spammers

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Dec 15 10:55:14 PST 2000

At 11:26 AM -0500 12/15/00, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>>Ah, sorry for not explaining. I provided a link to a photo of the
>>particular Fed (of the NIPC) who said that, and the event at which
>>he did. No article on the topic, though you can find out more about
>>the event at netspionage.com, I believe. --Declan
>>
>>>BTW the first things the Feds are now saying when they speak in public
>>>(http://www.mccullagh.org/image/950-17/aba-netspionage-broadcast.html)
>>>is that they do not come in and cart off everything you own. At least
>>  >that's the latest spin. :)

I have no idea what they are saying now, or then, but the "cart off
everything you own" has never been a practical reality. Most folks
have too much stuff, so the Feds are not interested in clearing a
place of everything.

I assume this notion got started, at least in our community, during
the Steve Jackson Games of a decade or so ago. In that case, the Feds
took everything in the office they figured might be
helpful...computers, disk drives, even printers. Thrown into boxes,
more or less. Lots of damage. Presumably they left office chairs and
pen holders.

When they raided Bell, they didn't take everything in the house he was in.

So, I agree with Ray Dillinger. I don't see any news here.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: 1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns