About 5yr. log retention

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Thu Dec 14 23:58:52 PST 2000

At 09:35 PM 12/5/00 -0600, Neil Johnson wrote:
>After e-mails were used by the DOJ as "evidence" that Micro$oft was guilty
>of "anti-competitive" practices, it was quietly proposed by legal department
>at a company I know of that the e-mail system be configured to automatically
>delete users e-mail after a set time period, and not allow the easy off-line
>storage of messages. It was handily rejected by the IT department as
>impossible to implement and shouted down by many managers who didn't want
>their CYA e-mails automatically deleted.

That's one of the applications that Disappearing Ink's system is
designed for.  Email is stored in encrypted form, with the
decryption requiring an access key from Disappearing or
a similar corporate server, and the access key is
regularly destroyed unless there's a specific order to retain it.

This doesn't stop you from saving the mail outside the system,
and it doesn't stop a court order from saying "keep all your current
and future email", but it means that routine mail is routinely deleted,
unless you go out of your way to move it to your CYA server
or your Keep_for_later_use storage.  But it substantially reduces the
risk of fishing expeditions going after everything you've
ever written and every backup tape you've got.

Does this integrate well with Microsoft Outlook Mail
gi-mongous undocumented-binary-format mailboxes?
(Actually, it probably does quite well - not clear if it works
well with the Exchange mail server, but MS already encourages
people to use binary proprietary attachments instead of inline text.
You do have to deal with the network firewall issue,
but I think they've got proxy capabilities.)
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com