All these different addresses.

Greg Newby gbnewby at ils.unc.edu
Thu Dec 14 11:51:22 PST 2000

Gary, take a look at http://einstein.ssz.com/cdr/index.html

The short answer is that the list is intentionally distributed,
so that there is no single point of failure, censure or seizure.

They're all real addresses, though @toad.com is deprecated.
The software details for each address may be different, but
essentially each list will distribute, to its subscribers, the
traffic from all the other addresses.

  -- Greg

PS: Yes, this makes setting up anti-spam filters more difficult for
subscribers.

PPS: No, ideas about having subscriber-only posting are not likely to
be favorably entertained -- check out the list archives for loads of
discussion on the topic, as recently as last month.