DCSB: Chuck Wade; ACH in Internet Payment

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Dec 12 16:11:34 PST 2000

[Note that the Harvard Club is now "business casual". No more jackets and
ties... --RAH]

          The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                         Presents

                        Chuck Wade,
     Senior Researcher, Internet Payments and Security,
                        CommerceNet

    Legacy Electronic Payment Systems meet the Internet:
              Using ACH for Internet Payments

                 Tuesday, January 2nd, 2000
                         12 - 2 PM
              The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                One Federal Street, Boston, MA

Electronic payment systems have been around for more than a
quarter century, but are characterized by a legacy of private
networks and mainframe transaction processing systems. Recently,
there have been a variety of new schemes proposed and even
implemented to bring legacy epayment systems to the Internet.
This is especially true of the Automated Clearing House (ACH)
system, which is evolving rapidly to support new interfaces with
Internet-based payment services.

This talk will focus on some of the approaches being used to
adapt the legacy ACH system to new Internet payment services, and
will explore some of the positive and negative implications of
these developments.

Chuck Wade is a Senior Researcher for CommerceNet focusing on
Internet payments and information security. Prior to joining
CommerceNet, he was a Principal Consultant in the Information
Security Group of BBN Technologies. At BBN, he led Electronic
Commerce initiatives and client engagements, with most of his
consulting work within the Financial Industry. As one of the
original participants in the FSTC eCheck Project, Chuck has been
involved with over-the-Internet electronic payments since the mid
1990's. He also contributed directly to the architecture, design,
deployment and testing of various large, mission-critical
networks, including the trading floor network for the New York
and American Stock Exchanges.

In a career spanning a quarter century, Chuck spent all of the
'90s with BBN (now a part of Verizon) as a Consultant and Systems
Architect. During most of the '80s, he worked at Motorola
directing the Advanced Technology Group for the Codex division.
He has also worked in the minicomputer industry and university
research. He holds both Sc.B. and Sc.M. degrees from Brown
University in Electrical Engineering.

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held on
Tuesday, January 2nd, 2000, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch of
the Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The price for lunch is
$35.00. This price includes lunch, room rental, A/V hardware if
necessary, and the speakers' lunch. The Harvard Club has relaxed its
dress code, which is now "business casual", meaning no sneakers or jeans.
Fair warning: since we purchase these luncheons in advance, we will be
unable to refund the price of your meal if the Club finds you in
violation of what's left of its dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we *really*
know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of Boston", by
Saturday, December 30th, or you won't be on the list for lunch. Checks
payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston will have to be
sent back.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The Harvard
Club of Boston", in the amount of $35.00. Please include your e-mail
address so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements (We've
had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for instance),
please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can work something
out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

February 6  Ted Byfield      Decentralized DNS Control
March 6     Scott Moskowitz  Watermarking and Bluespike

As you can see, :-), we are actively searching for future speakers. If
you are in Boston on the first Tuesday of the month, are a principal in
digital commerce, and would like to make a presentation to the Society,
please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Committee, care of Robert
Hettinga, <mailto: rah at shipwright.com>.