About 5yr. log retention

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Tue Dec 12 04:57:57 PST 2000

"James A. Donald" wrote:
>  > evil, of course, is a question of perspective. most of those "evil"
>  > nations/people regard the US pretty much the same way. :-)
>
> Stalin and Hitler were especially firm believers in the principle that evil
> is merely a question of perspective,

and you seriously believe you can debunk a point by pointing out that
there's a few assholes among its followers? oh, come on.

> and thus any nation that got in the
> way of mass murder, notably the US, was, by their theory, especially
> evil.  Indeed Stalin made "objectivism" a thought crime, punishable by
> death.  By "objectivism" he meant the belief that truth was a matter of
> fact, rather than authority.

"evil" could, I believe, be *defined* as "the term pretty much everyone
uses to describe his or her enemies". on the other hand, I don't know
many people who don't consider themselves righteous, good, etc.

thinking about it, objective is a word that has been abused quite a lot
by virtually any faction in power during a given time. it's not been too
long since the existence of god, heaven and hell was an "objective
fact".
stalins definition of "objectivism", as you repeat it above, is just one
more of those abuses. what you say is merely that he called everyone who
opposed his philosophy by that term. however, in most of the worlds
we're living in today, the label of a thing is seperate from the thing
itself.