FC: Yet Another Survey: Americans have become privacy pragmatists

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Tue Dec 12 10:18:09 PST 2000

>Business President Alan Westin says that more Americans now fall into the
>category of "privacy pragmatist" rather than "privacy fundamentalist." Ron
>Plesser of Piper Marbury Rudnick & Wolf says that the Internet industry
>must determine how to properly use Social Security numbers. "Regulating
>the purchase and sale of Social Security numbers over the Internet won't
>come overnight," Plesser says.

Damn few "privacy fundamentalists" out there.  Most "privacy advocates"
support massive government privacy invasions including the Internal Revenue
Code of 1986, as amended, the Census Bureau, and the various state DMVs.

Unless a "privacy advocate" is prepared to call for the elimination of the
above privacy invading institutions or at least their conversion to
anonymous credential technology, then I submit that they are *not* privacy
advocates at all.

As for the eternal SS# question, Amex and Discover will currently give you
"one time use" cc numbers to use over the nets.  A consumer-friendly
government could do the same.  Particularly since they already have the
institutional setup in place.  Anyone who forms an entity of any kind that
has US tax implications (sole proprietorship, partnership, trust, estate,
corporation, etc.) can/must apply for a taxpayer ID number (TIN).  The Feds
could issue them to the rest of us for one-time use.

DCF

I knew America was in trouble when I found that the application to join the
Sons of the American Revolution asks for your Social Security Number.