Questions of size...

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Dec 12 12:03:40 PST 2000

At 7:42 PM +0000 12/12/00, Ben Laurie wrote:
>Sampo A Syreeni wrote:
>>
>>  On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Ben Laurie wrote:
>>
>>  >Chambers defines geodesic as "the shortest line on a surface between two
>>  >points on it" and that is precisely the meaning in general relativity.
>>
>>  No question about it. The term also doesn't mean a whole lot when applied
>>  as-is in the many instances it is on this list. As Tim put it, it pretty
>>  much equates to "cyberpunkish".
>
>Not being subscribed to cypherpunks (has S/R improved?) I will have
>missed that.

Signal happens when good writers contribute good articles. Noise
happens in the expected ways. Noise is what the delete key, and
filters, were made for.

As you are apparently reading this from the "DBS" list, you are not
seeing any of my contributions. Regrettfully, DBS (and DCSB, or
Bearebucks, or whatever Bob is calling his list(s)) is not an "open
system." The Cypherpunks tried such a censored list a few years ago,
and we rejected the approach.

I wrote a large article debunking the "geodesics is about topology"
point of view. Others have said similar things.

Please don't contribute articles to the Cypherpunks list if you are,
as you say, not subscribed. While we don't reject articles by
nonsubscribers, as per the above, it is tacky and rude for
nonsubscribers to address articles to lists they are not tracking.

Thank you,

--Tim May

--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)