Questions of size...

Carskadden, Rush carskar at netsolve.net
Tue Dec 12 09:50:39 PST 2000

Comments below:

<snip>

> By the way, one topological aspect of a geodesic dome, to go back to
> that, is that each node is surrounded by some number of neighbors.
> Applied to a "geodesic economy," this image/metaphor would strongly
> suggest that economic agents are trading with their neighbors, who
> then trade with other neighbors, and so on.
>
> Tribes deep in the Amazon, who deal only with their neighbors, are
> then the canonical "geodesic economy."

I would disagree with the supporting logic here. You could theoretically
conclude
that such systems were geodesic in nature if you really wanted to, but it
would be
due to the fact that there is a minimum economic distance (cost, perhaps) in
dealings
between participants. I don't think it is safe to say that these
transactions are
canonically geodesic, unless you are also willing to propose that the
"surface" of the economic
structure is bound inseperably to the geography of the planet. I believe
that when we are talking
about a distance metric associated with the structure of economic
transactions (we are
talking about transactions, right?), the most natural metric to be used in
geodesic
economics would be cost. That's not to say that I have, at this point, read
any material
that makes a great logical case for the geodesic nature of the economic
transactions that
Mr. Hettinga describes. I am currently operating on a little blind faith and
a big hunch
when assuming for the sake of conversation that Mr. Hettinga's proposed
transactions would
be reduced-cost. It just seems to make sense. I agree with you, Mr. May,
that a seemingly
geodesic economomic system can be achieved through localization of the
market and direct
trade. I do not believe that localization is a defining element of a
geodesic economy.
It seems that a broad move toward localization being in-efficient in our own
economy
(one would have to prove this, and why), the concepts that Mr. Hettinga
proposes may
provide a working substitute for localization, by proposing a means of
direct interaction
between parties that breaks geographical limitations, and thereby
reducing E.D. (economic distance). Again, one would have to prove that cost
is a
good metric for E.D., and then one would have to prove that Mr. Hettinga's
proposals
result in reduced cost in transactions. It's a tough case, but my hunch
sides with Mr.
Hettinga.