About 5yr. log retention

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Dec 12 09:09:04 PST 2000

     --
Tom Vogt:
 > > > evil, of course, is a question of perspective. most of those
 > > > "evil" nations/people regard the US pretty much the same way.
 > > > :-)

James A. Donald:
 > > Stalin and Hitler were especially firm believers in the principle
 > > that evil is merely a question of perspective,

Tom Vogt:
 > and you seriously believe you can debunk a point by pointing out
 > that there's a few assholes among its followers? oh, come on.

If morality is merely relative, then what is wrong with murdering a few
million jews, kulaks, or people as irritating as James A. Donald?  All a
matter of perspective, isn't it?

 > "evil" could, I believe, be *defined* as "the term pretty much
 > everyone uses to describe his or her enemies".

People who use this definition have a disturbing tendency to define entire
social groups, races, classes, as their enemies.

The reason we define certain killings as murder is not because "the bible
tells us so",  but because we want to know if a killing indicates that the
killer is apt to kill murderously.

In practice we notice that one piece of metal is like another, and other
kinds of metal unlike, and we call one such group of pieces of metal
"iron", "iron" being our word for that commonality that makes them
alike.  The naming does not make it iron, but the character of the metal
itself.

Similarly we observe that one deed, and one man, is like another, and
another unlike, and we call one such group of men and deeds "evil", "evil"
being our word for that commonality that makes them alike.

Let us look at how real people in real life use the word "evil":

Immediately after the bombing of Serbia, lots of US government officials
went out on TV to argue that the bombing of Serbia was necessary and
advisable because the ruler of Serbia was
"evil".  I do not have a transcript, but it seemed clear to me that they
did not argue that he was evil, therefore deserved to have his soldiers
blown up, but instead argued that he was evil, therefore his soldiers were
likely to cause harm, therefore it was a wise precaution to blow his
soldiers up.

They unhesitatingly drew an empirical conclusion from a normative fact, and
they reasonably expected that everyone listening would find the alleged
normative fact compelling evidence for the empirical conclusion.

They crossed the "is ought gap" without the slightest difficulty, and so
does everyone else except for monsters and philosophers.  I find it
striking that many of the philosophers who have such great difficulty with
this alleged gap have some connection to monstrous regimes.  Not all of
them by any means, but most of them.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      ILP99SyVaIkmx215wqr43UJJ0hQduNWeaZ0/k7GM
      4mzrCxbxrsnsEX63mRLtarq6nQ94evNZW18Avove4