Yet Another Survey: Americans have become privacy pragmatists

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Dec 11 19:45:00 PST 2000

[Originally sent to politech at politechbot.com. --DBM]

---

[I believe Americans care a lot about privacy invasions _when they don't
have a choice_ -- such as cops sniffing your house for illegal drugs with
airborne drones or Thermovision 210s. But when Americans _get to choose_
whether to give up their privacy in exchange for something of value, they
often do. Just look at Safeway discount cards (and, in DC, Fresh Fields
discount cards). Obviously not all choices -- health insurance comes to
mind -- are as clear. But I don't think Americans will pay a lot extra to
protect their privacy. How many Internet consumer-privacy firms have
succeeded? --Declan]

*******