The US mis-election - an oportunity for e-voting..

Me commerce at home.com
Mon Dec 11 01:38:43 PST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Guerra" <gateway at cryptorights.org>
> Having a plethora of different standards sure
> doesn't help.. In Canada, and other countries
> there is a uniform ballot across the country..something
> that hopefully will be introduced into the USA real soon.

The reason there is a uniform ballot for all federal elections in
Canada is that they are all conducted by Elections Canada.
Ballots for voting at other levels of government differ greatly
from the EC's and each other.

What body in the US would have the authority to impose standards
for Presidential ballots upon the states?  And what problem would
it solve?

>> i dont see why any of these methods are inherently
>> better/safer/more accurate than those used in florida.
> Counting a "X"'s I would think is easier than counting
> chads on punch card ballots

for who or what?  i, otoh, would think a computer would be more
reliable at counting holes in punch cards than scanning for Xes.
i'd bet the human would prefer the Xes, tho.

as the ballots in florida were intended to be tabulated by comp,
the punch card may have been a better choice.