US: Democracy or Republic?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Dec 11 00:42:31 PST 2000

At 1:32 AM -0500 12/11/00, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 05:12:23PM -0800, Steve Schear wrote:
>>  Quite.  And the specter of the Florida legislature selecting a new set of
>>  electors are providing one of the best civics educations citizens young and
>>  old have had this century.  Its really quite healthy to have the myth of
>>  democracy we were all taught in grade school laid bare by the reality of a
>>  conservative and plain reading of the Constitution by some of the best and
>>  brightest.
>
>Heh. For every Democrat (and perhaps some Republicans) who goes on TV
>and proudly proclaims this perpetual election as a good thing because
>it buttresses our civics knowledge, I want to ask: Why don't we
>encourage the president, say, to commit a felony? The subsequent
>prosecution and conviction would be fascinating to observe and would
>*really* educate America's children.

Yes, the treatment Bill received after raping Juanita Brodderick was
indeed instructive.

As was the punishment he received for lying under oath, suborning
perjury, tampering with evidence, and (very probably) having
witnesses in his scandals killed.

(While not _all_ of the several dozen people on the Bill Hit List
were victims of foul play, I expect many were. And about 10 standard
deviations' worth of deaths as compared to the expected number around
other men of similar age

--Tim May
--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)