Sunders point on copyright infringement & HTML

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Dec 10 16:46:05 PST 2000

At 5:24 PM -0600 12/10/00, Allen Ethridge wrote:
>On 11/30/00 at 1:46 AM, tcmay at got.net (Tim May) wrote:
>
>>  So, you might say, "it works." Nope. Problems:
>>
>>  1. I ain't gonna read messages that require me to launch my word
>  > processor. Mail shouldn't need external word processors or text
>  > editors.
>
>Mail programs need, at the very least, text editors, or it becomes
>difficult to
>compose.  Or do you mean that word processors should be integrated into mail
>programs?

Did you miss the word "external" in my sentence?

Let me repeat it for you:

"Mail shouldn't need external word processors or text editors."

In-line vs. attachment is the issue here. Most of those who have been
using the "attachment" setting have belatedly realized their errors
and are now in-lining their text.

>>  Fact is, PGP and SMIME went the _wrong_ direction when message
>>  signings started to require RTF, MIME, HTML, etc. (I realize these
>>  are not all the same thing. The real issue is "non-ASCII.")
>
>Luddite.

I tried above to be polite. Now this.

PLONK.

--Tim May
--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)