Fractal geodesic networks

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Dec 8 15:57:49 PST 2000

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Jim Choate wrote:

>Fractal simply means non-integer dimension.

Yeah, that's where it started.  But I'm using it more in the
sense of meaning the properties that fractal structures have;
self-similarity across scales, for one, as in the big nodes
work the same way as the little nodes and larger patterns are
emergent from the interaction of simple rules.

>Computer networks, at least copper or fiber based, can't be fractal.

Physically, true.  There is a minimum size feature, in the sense
that some computing hardware and memory is required of every node.
In terms of the flow of information, I'm not as sure.

>The
>traffic patterns can have fractal patterns (e.g. Foucault Dust
>periodicity) but that isn't the same thing at all.

The traffic patterns *ARE* the network.  If the network has
fractal traffic patterns, the network is fractal.

>'fractal geodesic network' is spin doctor bullshit.

Yup.  Mutually exclusive sets of properties.

>And the Internet is most certainly NOT(!) geodesic with respect to packet
>paths.

At the lower levels in user-land and very small ISP's, it seems to be
hierarchical (eg, I have an "uplink" who connects me to the rest of
the Internet, and people who connect through my system treat me as
their uplink...).  But at major nodes like big ISP's and server farms,
it's more like a distributed or peer-to-peer network (eg, my uplink
has several dozen peers, each with independent connections to other
points on the internet, and they each maintain independent connections
to several different "backbone sites", and the backbone sites are
connected both via dedicated links peer-to-peer *and* via all the
ISP's that have connections to more than one of the backbone sites
....)

Anyway, once you get up out of hierarchy levels, I think the Internet
starts looking a lot more fractal -- self-similarity across scales
in traffic flow, emergent bandwidth and load patterns, etc.

				Bear