Knowing your customer

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Thu Dec 7 09:05:45 PST 2000

"Trei, Peter" wrote:
> > R. A. Hettinga[SMTP:rah at shipwright.com] wrote
> > You're thinking of something else, but you're close enough. For instance,
> > there are laws in most jurisdictions about requiring a social security
> > number to open a bank account....
> >
> Are you saying that a visiting foreigner can't open a bank account in the
> US?
> I'd be quite suprised if this is the case.

I guess an equivalent ID will do. in germany, you need your ID card to
open a bank account (um, for those not in the know: we have state-issue
ID cards in addition to passports. the passport is a travel document,
used to visit non-EU countries. the ID card is used inside the EU and
for national purposes (identification, mostly). you are NOT required to
have it with you all the time or somesuch, but some activities, such as
opening a bank account, require an ID card. driving license or other
documents will do in many cases, but I think not for bank accounts).