hi

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Dec 6 17:02:17 PST 2000

At 7:48 PM -0500 12/6/00, Trei, Peter wrote:
>  > Tim May[SMTP:tcmay at got.net] wrote:
>>
>>  At 4:02 PM -0800 12/6/00, IT IS SHOOOSH wrote:
>>  >Daer Reciever...
>>  >i am a stuend in an American University...
>>  >and i am taking a public speaking course...
>>  >i have this week to give a persuasive speech (my final
>>  >speech)...i thought of doing it about persuading my
>>  >audience that seatbelts are not safe as we
>>  >thought...there is a stydu done recently in England
>>  >that showed that...
>>  >
>>  >i dont know,,is it a good topic,,or can u give me more
>>  >
>>  >thank you
>>  >Rasha
>>  >

>>  Daer Reciever Rasha,
>>
>>  i am happi you r a stuend. amrika needs good stuends.
>>  baste on yur speling, i think u shuld becum a teecher.
>>
>>  --tim
>>
>Anyone else suspect that the original message (from a
>throw-away yahoo account) is a troll,
>and wonder if Tim might have been the author?
>
>[Tim, perhaps you're not, but replying so quickly in this
>manner to the original message (which is a canonical
>example of the way you satirize uneducated blacks)
>is suspicious to say the least :-]

First, this is not how I satirize uneducated--or even
educated--blacks. I didn't use any ebonics code words, nor did I
mention niggaz, crack hoes, or welfare entitlements.

Rasha sounds like the typical illiterate student who has to take
remedial English upon her arrival at Beaver College. I had a roommate
in college who was one of these types, having to take the equivalent
of "English for Dummies." He couldn't spell, he couldn't construct a
sentence, and he couldn't read worth a damn.

And that was 29 years ago. At a UC campus. I expect that standards
have declined even further since then, especially as college has now
become just an extension of high school. In fact, I expect that a lot
of places like Beaver College, Lower Ohio River Valley State College,
and Yankton Practical University are all being swamped by illiterate
and innumerate students who barely graduated from their
already-abysmal high schools.

When a university education is an entitlement, gud stuends like Rasha
are the result.

--Tim May
--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)