About 5yr. log retention

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Dec 6 10:29:37 PST 2000

At 12:09 PM 12/6/00 -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>* Common carriers are regulated closely by the FCC and states. (Think:
>Approval required before raising prices.) ou don't want to be one.

Yes, this was brought up recently when I mentioned common carrier
protections
for financial service providers, like the Texans.  It should
be possible to separate the non-responsibility-for-content from the
*eminent-domain-derived* regulation of the copper-wire-plant monopoly.

For instance, a contract printer is not (or should not be) held responsible
for the content he prints, though his rates aren't regulated, because he
doesn't use the "commons".

You *do* want legal recognition of immunity for what clients use your
service for, like a common carrier but without the FCC or PUC.  Thanks for
pointing
out that "common carrier" is a tainted/burdened legal term.

(I think they are separable functions: the telcos could still be
held legally responsible for what you say even if their rates were
unregulated.)