About 5yr. log retention

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Dec 6 09:20:16 PST 2000

Might this be another crankish Jim Choate theory?

I think the law is pretty clear:

* For most ISPs and dot com sites, there is no general duty to
preserve logs for five years, or for any time at
all. Gramm-Leach-Bliley may change this when it take affect next year
for sites dealing with cc#s; I haven't read up on the specifics.

* Common carriers are regulated closely by the FCC and states. (Think:
Approval required before raising prices.) ou don't want to be one.

-Declan