Buying Mein Kampf via the Net

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Dec 6 08:28:58 PST 2000

Tom Vogt wrote:

> David Honig wrote:
> > Hitler's estate would be the natural heir (under US law :-), although I can
> > believe that .de would seize it too, if he had no heir, or if they
> > didn't like him.
>
> he had no heir, and I believe the (C) falling to bavaria (not germany!)
> was incidental, not planned.

The will read something like:

"What I possess belongs - in so far as it has any value - to the Party.
Should this no longer exist, to the State; should the State also be
destroyed, no further decision of mine is necessary. My paintings, in
the collections which I have bought in the course of years, have never
been collected for private purposes, but only for the extension of a
gallery in my home town of Linz on Donau.  It is my most sincere wish
that this bequest may be duly executed. I nominate as my Executor my
most faithful Party comrade, Martin Bormann "

Of course, when the testator, the witnesses & almost all their surviving
friends were dead, Martin Bormann was heading in the general dirction of
the nearest long-range U-boat & a significant fraction of the Red Army
was rolling down Unter den Linden in a very cross mood indeed; any
relationship between Hitler's will & what actually happened to his
possessions was pretty likely to be incidental & unplanned.

kEN