IBM Uses Keystroke-monitoring in NJ Mob Case (was Re: BNA'sInternet Law News (ILN) - 12/5/00)

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Wed Dec 6 06:47:50 PST 2000

At 9:56 PM -0800 on 12/5/00, Greg Broiles wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 05:16:03PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
>> >The legal fight over whether the monitor was legal and whether the
>> >information so obtained are in fact records of criminal activity is a
>> >side-show.  It remains practical evidence of how insecure computer
>> >equipment / OS's and pass-phrase based identity authentication combine to
>> >reduce the effective security of a system.
>>

>> I fully support this comment that the whole issue of "legality"  is a
>> "side show."
>
> Exactly - not every attacker represents law enforcement,

Right.

My own personal opinion is that the more *money* is controlled with
cryptography and moved/stored on the internet, the stronger those
technologies will become, and, unfortunately, not for any other reason.
Like Whit Diffie has said, "cyberwar" will be "fought" by businesses, and
not nation-states.

Government black-bag jobs are just one of many kinds of theft...

Cheers,
RAH
--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA