iPaq

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Wed Dec 6 09:00:46 PST 2000

The device has extension ports that allow PCMCIA and Compact Flash.
These adapters are in the $50 range. There are wireless modems available
but they're fairly pricey : ~$350 for the modem, $50.month for the
service. All in all it looks pretty good. Schematics/specs open, Linux/X
already ported. The specs are reasonable ( unlike Palm ) it's a 206MHz
ARM9, USB, Audio, 320x240x12bit display, 16Mb FLASH, 32Mb DRAM if I
recall correctly. Throw in a 512Mb IBM microdrive, CFS, it's not bad.
Looks like the most secure option to me. Gateway SW over USB ( even for
M$ OS ) shouldn't be too tough. I guess you could trust an M$ machine to
handle already encrypted packets.