Data Logs

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Tue Dec 5 20:57:07 PST 2000

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 mmotyka at lsil.com wrote:

> The bloke with the extra ventilation notwithstanding, with an open OS
> and open applications it seems easy to do pretty much whatever you want
> with disk data and logs regardless of what the letter of the law says.

Agreed, but also irrelevant.

> Electronic data is so malleable that its use as evidence seems
> questionable to begin with. It's not like a gun or a car which has a
> physical presence and cannot be duplicated or altered *quite* as readily
> as bits.

This makes them more dangerous and likely to be the center of controversy.

As to altering bits, depends on what bits where you are talking off. Not
all bits are equal.

> for ballistic analysis ). This whole mess of communications and data
> privacy and copyright will be plaguing us for a long time and the most
> likely outcome is authoritarian legislation.

I believe the long term (say 100 to 250 years) will be elimination of
copyright, trademark, and IP in general. It will be the consequence of a
growing 'Yeah, but what have you done for me today?' attitude. I believe
the Open Source movement is one component.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com