IBM Uses Keystroke-monitoring in NJ Mob Case (was Re: BNA'sInternet Law News (ILN) - 12/5/00)

Greg Broiles gbroiles at netbox.com
Tue Dec 5 21:56:11 PST 2000

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 05:16:03PM -0800, Tim May wrote:
> >The legal fight over whether the monitor was legal and whether the
> >information so obtained are in fact records of criminal activity is a
> >side-show.  It remains practical evidence of how insecure computer
> >equipment / OS's and pass-phrase based identity authentication combine to
> >reduce the effective security of a system.
>

> I fully support this comment that the whole issue of "legality"  is a
> "side show."

Exactly - not every attacker represents law enforcement, and not every
law enforcement attack is performed with the intention of creating
admissible evidence. The US' exclusionary rule is the exception, not
the rule, worldwide - most courts take more or less whatever evidence
they can get. And thugs and goons and spies of many flavors don't
give a shit about even pretending to cover their tracks when they're
not following the rules.

Greg Broiles gbroiles at netbox.com
PO Box 897
Oakland CA 94604