ecash, cut & choose and private credentials (Re: Jim Bell)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Dec 5 21:54:07 PST 2000

     --
Adam Back wrote:
 > > > I think the thing that killed MT / digicash for this application
 > > > was MT at the time was reported to be closing accounts related
 > > > to pornography -- they apparently didn't want the reputation for
 > > > providing payment mechanisms for the porn industry or something.

James Donald replied:

Anonymous wrote:
 > Payee traceability had nothing to do with it.  Every customer of
 > MTB, whether an end user or a merchant, had to fully identify
 > himself to the bank, including SSN and for merchants, type of
 > business, etc.  This is SOP for other payment systems like credit
 > cards.

Ecash is not supposed to be like credit cards.

Had the coins been cashlike, joe pornographer could have sold them under
the table to the flying nun, who would then cash them in her very
respectable account, and pay Joe pornographer under the table.

 > It was on this basis that MTB was able to screen their merchants. No
 > payee tracing was necessary.  A fully untraceable cash system would
 > have been equally amenable to merchant screening.  Any vendor has
 > the right to control whom it does business with, and MTB chose to
 > exercise its discretion in this way.

Payee traceability made it possible for the vendor to control who used his
ecash.  With truly untraceable cash, the vendor can no more control who
uses his coins than can an issuer of physical coins.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      1888xf3dGOa7E0/VKdf5i8BViiT/hrOp51IW5PzN
      4SxTFltcoKTQc4eFab8ZoF0byDe9qzXOqtQUqYWwc