IBM Uses Keystroke-monitoring in NJ Mob Case (was Re: BNA's Internet Law News (ILN) - 12/5/00)

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Dec 5 18:02:22 PST 2000

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 09:04:03AM -0500, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
> > KEYSTROKE MONITORING AND THE SOPRANOS
> > A federal gambling case against the son of a New Jersey mob
> > boss may provide the courts with the opportunity to weigh in

A copy of the indictment is here:
http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=00/12/06/0138246

Nicodemo S. Scarfo, the defendant in this case, is the son of the
former head of the Philadelphia-Atlantic City mob (who has been in
jail himself since 1991); Nicodemo is currently out on bail and
awaiting trial. His attorney was going to file a pretrial motion on
the crypto issue, but was replaced today  (conflict of interest rules)
with a new attorney, with whom I have not yet spoken.

So if you don't like this kind of FBI black bag job, you'll want to
root for Mr. Scarfo. :)

-Declan

PS: Some background on FBI black bag jobs and crypto:
  http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,33779,00.html