About 5yr. log retention

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Tue Dec 5 18:06:41 PST 2000

Jim Choate wrote :
>On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, John Young wrote:
>
>> But that is trivial compared to your claim that you decide what is
evidence
>> and that it then becomes illegal to alter or destroy it. That appears
to be
>> playing cop without the authority.
>
>No John, that is not my claim. You wish it were I bet. You need to
adjust
>your meds again.
>
>The destruction of property or materials which are evidence of a crime
is
>itself a crime if done intentionally to cover up that crime.

To prove destruction of evidence you must prove that it existed in a
form that was retrievable ( good luck ) and then that its destruction
was done by a person who was aware of the crime ( not always so in the
networking world ) for the purpose of concealing the crime( burden of
proof on you ). I clean disk space randomly and not according to any
schedule.

Erase away, but not on the evil MS platform.

Mike

The whole idea that a government can assert some sort of eminent domain
over all communications is offensive beyond words.