ecash, cut & choose and private credentials (Re: Jim Bell)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Dec 4 21:35:11 PST 2000

     --
James A. Donald:

At 01:14 AM 12/4/2000 -0500, Adam Back wrote:
 > I think the thing that killed MT / digicash for this application was
 > MT at the time was reported to be closing accounts related to
 > pornography -- they apparently didn't want the reputation for
 > providing payment mechanisms for the porn industry or something.

Payee traceability made it possible to close accounts related to
pornography.   Ecash is not truly cash like if the issuer can prevent it
from being used by tax evaders, child pornographers, money launderers and
terrorists.

 > I'd have thought the thing to do was put an ecash client in Mozilla
 > and work on getting it into netscape.  Plus download plugins for
 > Internet Explorer.

Internet explorer already has the necessary hooks.  If we put the ecash
wallet into an active X control then when the user navigates to a ecash
page, the user will see the usual warning "Do you trust code signed by so
and so".  If he clicks yes, the code will be downloaded to the client and
installed behind the scenes, and he will never see that warning again,
unless he encounters a page with an updated version of the ecash control.

 > So whoever develops enough clue, capability and interest in making
 > money to do this someday needs to think about making it work with
 > existing credit card sites.

The html code on the thumbnail page where one clicks on a porno link will
need to be rewritten to support ecash.   If the porno page server is using
IIS, the server will need an ISAPI extension to handle URL's containing
ecash payments.   Apache has a similar extension mechanism, but I have
never written an extension for an Apache server.

The page that has for-pay links does not need anything unusual about its
server, or about the client's Internet explorer, but the server that serves
links containing ecoins in their urls will need an extension, similar to
extensions I have written before.

 > Try to make it as painless and instant as possible to buy ecash.

Unfortunately, if ecash is truly untraceable, you cannot give people their
ecash until their payment clears, which means you cannot let them pay by
credit card.  They would be able to pay by e-gold, Paypal, paper cheque or
wire transfer.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      x0aQgxEwqS2LNXHW/WBr5lXjkd0JE6+AaYOr2dkP
      474TkCMxTMOHpLrXcZYopVPpq36AognlIJ/uEvK0D