Missed News: US Adopts Euro Cyber Crime Proposal ...

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Dec 4 14:38:55 PST 2000

At 4:00 PM -0500 12/4/00, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>Harmon Seaver wrote:
>
>>  > "Preservation is not a new idea; it has been the law in the United
>>  > States for nearly five years,'' the statement said.
>>
>>          Preservation of logs is "the law"? That's news to me. I've never
>>  preserved a log over the 4 weeks or so that the default unix config.
>>

>          Not only that, but we don't and have never kept any sort of
>router logs,
>which is really what they would be after, I'd think. And we are the
>ISP for all
>the libraries in the whole NE part of MN. Just think of all those perverts and
>narco-terrorists using the free internet access in our libraries to
>keep in touch
>with Osama anonymously.  Shame on us, shame, shame!

I did some Google searches, on "preservation logs online" and found
nothing. I tried some variations. I expect the nature of legal data
bases is that Google will probably not turn up obscure legal rulings
which failed to get media or activist attention. Maybe Findlaw will
turn up something.

I would be very interesting in seeing the full context of the U.S.
official's basis for his comment that "preservation has been the law
for nearly five years."

 From the time period, I am expecting CALEA is being implicated here.

It would be an interesting First Amendment case if there were some
putative requirement that all communications be logged (absent some
specific court order to do so).

The cynical point of view is that this is just one of the tens of
thousands of regulations which our overbusy imperial capital
generates every year. More things to turn us all into felons.

I briefly had some hope when I saw a yellow Ryder truck heading
north, towards Washington. Hot damn, I thought, we're gonna see
another mcveighing! Alas, it was only some chads and dimples.

--Tim May
--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)