Curse you Boston.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Wed May 12 23:12:36 PDT 1999

POLITICAL REPRESSION  Aug 23 2002
  The Execution of Sacco & Vanzetti: 75 Years Later
When Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti were put to death on August 23,
1927, radical America wept. Despite the dedication of people from Emma
Goldman to Albert Einstein and demonstrations from Paris to Portugal, the
worldwide fight to save the two Italian immigrants had failed.
Accused of a 1920 robbery, the anarchists were tried amidst the xenophobic
and anti-leftist sentiments of Palmer-raid United States. They sat before
an admittedly biased judge and were convicted contrary to evidence of their
innocence. In the years following, the Sacco-Vanzetti trial became the best
example of radicals in the U.S. being railroaded for their political beliefs.
New Yorkers will mark the trial with a 5 p.m. memorial in Union Square on
Friday. On Thursday, a teach-in a teach-in was also held.
[ The Red Scares: Then & Now | A Contemporary View of the Trial and
Aftermath | Infoshop.org's Sacco and Vanzetti Memorial ]

http://www.indymedia.org/index.php3?newswire=open
1977 -- US: Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis proclaims
"Nicola Sacco & Bartolomeo Vanzetti Day" on the 50th anniversary
of their death.
See Heroes & Martyrs: Emma Goldman, Sacco & Vanzetti, & the
Revolutionary Struggle, an audio CD by Howard Zinn.
 >"What Need Be Said" by David Wieck
 >Italian Anarchism in America: An Historical Background
to the Sacco-Vanzetti Case by Paul Avrich
 >La Salute é in Voi: the Anarchist Dimension by Robert D'Attilio
 >The Idea of Boston: Some Literary Responses to the Sacco-Vanzetti
Case by Daniel Aaron
 >The Governor Dukakis Proclamation
all at: http://www.saccovanzettiproject.org/pages/home.html
http://www.infoshop.org/sacco_vanzetti.html
1927 -- Nicola Sacco & Bartolomeo Vanzetti, Italian-born anarchist
labor militants, executed in the electric chair
Judge Webster Thayer, during the
Sacco-Vanzetti episode, was heard to boast while
playing golf,
"Did you see what I did to those anarchistic bastards?"
They are subjects of many songs, poems & books.
http://www.torremaggiore.com/saccoevanzetti/intro.html
http://recollectionbooks.com/siml/library/vanzettipoem.htm