Manhattan Madrassass Murder Mystery.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Wed May 5 22:38:00 PDT 1999

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cci.htm#faithbasedinitiatives
Faith-Based Initiatives
The Manhattan Institute’s Jeremiah Project is an effort to study, promote
and replicate the work inner-city ministers are doing in reducing youth
violence and restoring civil society to urban communities across America.
Dr. John DiIulio founded the project while he was a Senior Fellow at the
Manhattan Institute. Through this effort, the Institute conducts research,
hosts conferences and shares information on these faith-based organizations
in order to highlight and replicate the most successful efforts around the
country. We methodically research their efficacy in the areas of youth
violence, drug addiction, teenage pregnancy, illiteracy, joblessness and
other social ills that remain so heavily concentrated in predominantly
minority, inner-city neighborhoods.
Last year the Institute released two new studies on faith-based
organizations, in conjunction with the University of Pennsylvania’s Center
for Research on Religion and Urban Civil Society. Good Dads: Religion,
Civic Engagement, and Paternal Involvement in Low-Income Communities by W.
Bradford Wilcox shows that residential fathers who are involved in
religious organizations are significantly more likely to spend time with
their children and be involved in their children’s activities. The Role of
African-American Churches in Reducing Crime Among Black Youth, by Dr. Byron
Johnson, the current Director of the Jeremiah Project, determines that
religious involvement by African-American youth significantly shields them
from the effects of neighborhood disorder and decay and reduces the
potential that they will turn to crime.
Our 1998 conference, Can Churches Save the Inner City?, highlighted
scientific evidence showing that religious belief and involvement reduces
juvenile criminality. In 1999, we featured five successful Washington, D.C.
– based ministries at Faith-Based Approaches to Saving Our Capital’s Youth,
an event we co-sponsored with Empower America. And in 2000, we joined
Reverend Herbert H. Lusk, II of the Greater Exodus Baptist Church in
Philadelphia to host a roundtable entitled Religious Leaders in the Public
Square.
Theres more,50 million taxpayers have already been released.Should buy a
few Koran's.