Spook wars-When Angleton kicked Harvey under the table.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Sun May 2 19:05:34 PDT 1999

1961 Washington area.
Wrights briefing on RAFTER had not gone smoothly as some CIA officers were
extremely pissed off that there had been a 3 year gap before they were
indoctrinated.
"Who else knows about RAFTER?,asked (the CIA's) Harvey.
I told him we briefed the FBI and the Canadian RCMP fully as we progressed.
"The Canadians!",exploded Harvey,thumping the table in anger."You might as
well tell the fuckin' Papuan's as the Canadians."
"I'm afraid we don't see it like that.The Canadians are trusted members of
the Commonwealth."
(I may go there to Kamloops for a holiday after the trial,btw.)
"Well you should tell them to get another cipher machine,'he said
as  Angleton kicked Harvey hard under the table."
Could have been Rosa Kleb I guess he was lucky.
p151.Spycatcher.peter Wright.
What were they using then? No point Hagelin I guess...
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/canada/1034/
 >>One of Peter Wright's successes was in listening to (i.e. bugging) the
actions of a mechanical cipher machine, in order to break their encryption.
This operation was code-named ENGULF, and enabled MI5 to read the cipher of
the Egyptian embassy in London at the time of the Suez crisis. Another
cipher-reading operation, code-named STOCKADE, read the French embassy
cipher by using the electro-magnetic echoes of the input teleprinter which
appeared on the output of the cipher machine. Unfortunately, Wright says
this operation "was a graphic illustration of the limitations of
intelligence" - Britain was blocked by the French from joining the Common
Market and no amount of bugging could change that outcome.
Particularly interesting is MI5's invention code-named RAFTER, which is
used to detect the frequency a radio receiver is tuned to, by tracing
emissions from the receiver's local oscillator circuit. RAFTER was used
against the Soviet embassy and consulate in London to detect whether they
were listening in to A4-watcher radios. Wright also used this technique to
try to track down Soviet "illegals" (covert agents) in London who received
their instructions by radio from the USSR. <<
FROM
http://www.five.org.uk/security/mi5org/spycatch.htm