Penguins in Big Blue.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Wed Apr 28 19:35:37 PDT 1999

Tinkerbell Factor
I know I am not alone in this. If you read Slashdot regularly, you'll see a
recurring theme in the arguments made by Linux proponents: While Linux is
more complex than some other operating systems, it provides a great deal of
power and customizability. Many Linux users, including me, actually take
pride in the ability to use the system.
While I have had some good experiences with operating systems that are more
conventionally intuitive, the operating systems that present the greatest
challenge intrigue me the most. And the payoff is a great deal of
satisfaction in the ability to fine tune and customize the interface and
the work environment.
Microsoft's (Nasdaq: MSFT) operating systems are a different story
altogether. While I typically detest the company's innovation strategies, I
have actually, in some deranged way, found a certain measure of fulfillment
in being able to accomplish difficult tasks on Windows.
http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/18878.html
Each new crash or system glitch presents new challenges, new routes to
explore, new techniques to learn. Because I have a tendency to fetishsize
the tool -- whether it be a new development tool, an operating system or
even a new graphics card -- my means to the computing end is often just as
pleasurable for me as the end itself.