Herd shot around the world

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Mon Apr 26 14:26:16 PDT 1999

meat-recall information kept hidden
by Allison Sherry and David Migoya, Denver Post - August 07, 2002
It was difficult or impossible for Americans to find out where E. coli-
contaminated meat was shipped in recent weeks because federal law protects
company secrets.
Consumers were left even more vulnerable because of disjointed
communication among government agencies that are supposed to protect them.
Those lapses put more than a week between the day 354,200 pounds of beef
were recalled and the time some consumers found out about it. One Douglas
County teenager was sickened by ConAgra meat in that period.
Responding to what happened in Colorado, the state, ConAgra and a grocery
chain have taken steps to better inform the public next time there's a recall.
"We would be more proactive and react on it quicker because of this
experience," said Patti Klocker, assistant director for consumer protection
at the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. "We could have
given the heads-up to the consumers a little quicker."
http://www.disinfo.com/pages/article/id2529/pg1/