Atlanta Vice

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Mon Apr 26 13:22:41 PDT 1999

Atlanta Suspends Vice Unit
[From AP] The prostitute business in Atlanta should do a brisk business- at
least in the next couple of days. That's because the Atlanta police
department has suspended undercover vice operations aimed at prostitution
after an officer shot and killed a suspected prostitute — one of four fatal
police shootings in the past three months. Members of the 10-member vice
squad will be temporarily reassigned while officers in marked cars perform
their duties.
Police Chief Richard Pennington said he suspended the undercover vice
operations "out of concern for the safety of our officers and citizens."
Atlanta police have mowed down 12 people this year, killing five, the
largest number of police shootings since 1995. On Monday, an officer shot a
suspected prostitute four times after she sprayed him with pepper gas and
stabbed him in the face and arms when he tried to arrest her, police said.
The officer was in stable condition at Grady Memorial Hospital. On July 14,
a plainclothes officer killed an 18-year-old, who police said was trying to
run over the officer. Relatives and friends said the teen was fleeing
because he felt threatened.
Timothy may have believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that
year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no
matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther
.