Up your date

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Sun Apr 25 08:56:48 PDT 1999

The colonization of everyday life
"...a clause was smuggled into a security patch in June.
On the other hand, users already consent to similar conditions whenever
they use the Windows Update facility - and few complain.
The change needn't apply to corporate users. Microsoft recently introduced
Software Update Services, which allows managed upgrades across the Intranet
to users with Active Directory. (So you don't have thousands of desktops
hitting Microsoft servers at once).
We've asked Microsoft if this was a legal or a technical decision, and what
was behind the decision to make installation of the service packs
conditional on this clause. We await their reply.
Related Stories
MS security patch EULA gives Billg admin privileges on your box
Anti-EULA script removes offending text
Hows that supersecure SUSE going vulture?