The Klez excuse

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Sat Apr 24 15:56:39 PDT 1999

Working as a telephone tech support person for a non-tech sector company,
Klez was particularly annoying as we would get angry telephone calls from
our own corporate executives about how our server based antivirus program
wasn't working, as they were getting angry emails from people at other
companies telling them to stop sending them the Klez virus.

All because the damn thing sent false header information and someone
outside both companies had been infected, people would continue to blame
the wrong parties when their own antivirus program would point them at the
wrong culprit, despite all the media stories explaining the damn thing in
clear detail.

We had a number of execs refuse to believe us when we told them their
machine was clean, as "obviously" we were wrong according to the people at
the other company. Even had one high up try to install her own antivirus
program because she didn't trust ours and ended up trashing her computer.

Did I tell you my new trial 'contest mention' is on sept 11.Anniversary of
Chile coup.