Get your war on.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Thu Apr 22 19:24:51 PDT 1999

If there's any sane lesson that Congress should take away from the Enron
political scandal (and this is assuredly both a corporate and political
scandal), it is not that we need campaign finance reform—it is that we need
federal spending reform. Want to get rid of corporate political corruption?
Abolish corporate welfare so that Fortune 500 firms don't spend half their
energy and public relations budgets farming Washington. With $100 billion
of corporate loot divvied up by Congress every year, the wonder is that
there aren't 100 Enrons out there, with tentacles into every law firm,
media outlet and congressional office in the District of Columbia. And
perhaps there are.
The one lesson I've learned from my 20-year experience in Washington is
that corporate America is perhaps a bigger adversary to small government
and the free market than even Tom Daschle. Republicans, and specifically
the Bush administration—which, of course, had a particularly cozy
relationship with Enron—could go a long way toward defusing the Enron
crisis by calling for abolition of the Commerce Department, the
Export-Import (Ex-Im) Bank and other CEO feeding troughs. That'll probably
happen the day the Olympics installs fair and impartial judges at skating
events.
Whats this got to do with war?
SEE MWO's ANNALs of ENRON,it will all become clear.