Attack of the cretins.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Thu Apr 22 18:53:22 PDT 1999

[Oracle Corp Chairman and CEO] Larry Ellison wants to sell databases,
correct? So maybe now we can have everybody's fingerprints and retinal
scans put into computers. And Big Brother can be efficient with Oracle
software. Siebel [Systems] has purchased the world's largest American flag
and attached it to the side of their building, supposedly to symbolize
growth. Of course, that might imply their company's growth. That is, if you
want to invest now, it's a good chance to get in at a low price.
On the political side, you see Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell and talking
about God punishing us. The cretins are coming out of the woodwork,
The "Office of Homeland Security" does sound a little over the top
It sounds like a phrase out of Orwell's 1984. It's scary as hell.
One of the things I don't think Bush gets is that the terrorists win if
they take away our freedoms, directly or indirectly.
“Yesterday’s Technology Tomorrow”—the phrase has been thrown around the FBI
for decades. It might be funny if it weren’t so true. “The agents have
encrypted radio; they’ve got night vision; they’ve got the surveillance
stuff,” says a former agent, one of several interviewed for this piece.
“They have top of the line everything—everything except information
technology.”
Not to dwell too much on Sun’s Scott McNealy, but he did popularize the
phrase “The network is the computer.” This idea, which the Fortune 500
started grasping five years ago, is as anti-stovepipe as you can get. It
sees individual computers as communication devices, whose ability to link
up with the rest of the world’s computers is more important than the
processing power they possess on their own. It sees the network as a
platform on which knowledge can be shared, amplified and re-created in new
innovative forms, the networked pieces adding up to far more than the sum
of their parts.
Victory in the information war depends on the ability to use that
information—to understand it, to react to it quickly. “September 11 was all
based on controlling information,” says Carver Mead, the CalTech physicist,
one of the fathers of the microprocessor and a pioneer in neural
networking, an approach to artificial intelligence based on replicating the
connective miracles of the human brain. “The fact is the hijackers
controlled all the information. They had all the information on the first
three planes—they were the only ones who knew what was going to happen. On
the fourth plane, there was a tiny amount of information available to the
passengers; they were able to use it to thwart the plan.
“We actually knew a lot about some of these people,” says Mead. “We
actually did know a lot, but we didn’t put it together.”
Putting it together requires acceptance of the idea that the network is the
computer–and that the bigger and broader it is, the better.
a fit-for-the-1990s computer system will be in place at the agency by the
end of 2003 I PROMIS you.The FBI’s controversial Carnivore system, which
can read e-mail and track suspects’ Web activity, reportedly has a data
mining component called Coolmine to help it analyze the information. But
for most of Uncle Sam’s security-related data, mining is something done by
keyboard- and hunch-wielding humans, by hand.