early reports from Austria: possible crypto stalemate (fwd)

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Wed Sep 30 19:45:47 PDT 1998

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 03:04:38 -0300 (ADT)
From: M Taylor <mctaylor at privacy.nb.ca>
To: cryptography at c2.net
Subject: early reports from Austria: possible crypto stalemate (fwd)
Sender: owner-cryptography at c2.net

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Sender: efc-talk-owner at insight.cas.mcmaster.ca
Subject: early reports from Austria: possible crypto stalemate
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:48:20 -0400 (EDT)
To: efc-talk at insight.cas.mcmaster.ca
From: David Jones <djones at insight.cas.mcmaster.ca>

Brief Crypto update:

Sources in Vienna, Austria, where the current Wassenaar negotiations
have been taking place, seem to indicate that there have been no
changes on international crypto policy.  This is generally regarded
as a "good sign", since it means the hard liners (Russia, US, France, UK, NZ)
haven't been successful, and those countries advocating a more liberal
policy may be sticking to their positions.

The next time int'l crypto policy is to be formally negotiated
is apparently early in December.

-- djones at efc.ca

P.S. If anyone happens to be fluent in German, maybe you could help us
     by translating, or summarizing, in English:

	http://www.mediaweb.at/akmg/news/wassenaar.html

----------------

(via babelfish)
http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate?urltext=http%3A%2F%2Fww
w.mediaweb.at%2Fakmg%2Fnews%2Fwassenaar.html&lp=de_en

In my very brief summary: it appears that a stalemate was reached in
regards to the public domain exemption ("General Software Note" in Canada)
of cryptography. The heavyweights (US, UK, France, Russia) want to remove
it while others (much of Europe?, Canada?) want to preserve it.

There is also mention of key-escrow, but I'm not certain if that is tied
to the Wassenaar Agreement talks.

--- end forwarded text

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah at philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA